Since 2016, WPHA has been working to involve and inform businesses, government agencies, work permit holders, media and other non-profit organizations to address the unfair deportation of foreign workers. The WPHA, participated in Almedalen Week 2018 and to represent foreign workers and employers’ perspectives to the attention of the public and policy makers.
It is important that foreign workers need to know about work permit regulation and labor market practice in reality. WPHA found that there is a big informational gap between these two subjects. WPHA believes that for this informational gap many work permit holders are in uncertain situation and many of them are already got deportation unfairly. Therefore it is important to discuss the issue. We invite every one join the seminar during Almedalen Week 2018.
WPHA is always open to integrate all interested group in the dialogue. As a part of it Diversify Foundation showed its interest to have a survey from both employees and employers perspective. WPHA thinks that the result of the survey will help other stakeholders to understand the subject in detail. Please check the following link for more information about the survey and Diversify Foundation.
För några år sedan när vi kom hit såg vi en rak väg att komma framåt. Vi trodde att det var ett bra beslut att investera vårt bästa i Sverige. Vi arbetade hårt och följde övningen som andra gör. System gav oss aldrig någon separat och speciell guidelinje som vi kunde följa. Idag har systemet förändrats och sätter allt ansvar på oss. Vi kan starkt säga att om det var vårt ansvar var det lättare att följa exakt. På en punkt säger systemet att arbetsgivarna misslyckades med att följa regelverket och på andra sidan straffar systemet arbetarna. Är det inte roligt och orättvist? Är det inte sant att de misstag de nekar att godkänna idag, i går hade de godkänt dem? Vi är inte säkra på vem som ska vara ledsen. Är det systemet som är rädd för att ta ansvar? Eller är det vi som ångrar sig för att fatta ett felaktigt beslut? En sak är vi säkra på att vi inte är ledsna för att förlora möjligheten att stanna här. Vi beklagar att systemet förnekar oss för att ge rättvisa. Vi är ledsna för att systemet gav oss straff även om de vet att någon annan gjorde misstaget eller felet. Det finns många Ali Omumi som är ledsna för att de inte förväntade sig denna orättvisa.
Problemet är inte så svårt att det inte kan lösas. Behöver bara politiskt god vilja. Att skylla på arbetare och utvisa dem tydligen är inte det enda sättet att kontrollera systemet. Om vi hade en ordentlig auktoritet för att se våra problem skulle dagens situation inte visas. På uppdrag av utländska arbetstagare uppdaterade WPHA-regeringen olika gånger. Tyvärr har vi fortfarande ingen lösning. Hur kan de överge oss? Hur kan de neka våra bidrag? Alla intressenter är inblandade i dagens problem och därmed skyller utländska arbetstagare och utvisar dem är orättvisa. Vi kommer inte sluta förrän problemet är löst.
We are happy to inform you that we got approval to participate in the Almedalen Week 2018. Almedan Week is the biggest and most important event in Sweden for political and socioeconomic issues. Although the parliamentary political parties are the main attraction of the event, you will get the opportunities to participate in different discussion and seminars. This important for us because this is the only place where we can explain our issues and demand for justice to the right people on spot. We will campaign there during the whole week, July 2 – July 6, 2018. During the campaign we will arrange some seminars on WPHA booth. Through our seminars and participation in other forums we will try to achieve the following goals:
- Raise members voice and problems to the authority.
- We will highlight that foreign workers are facing discrimination by the system.
- The political leaders and other important stakeholders should know that unclear law and unfair system cannot be justified to deport us.
- We will defend propaganda against foreign workers that we are threat to the local labour, illegal competition, taking social benefits and some more related to the issues.
- We will demonstrate how and how much foreign workers are participating in the economy of Sweden.
- We will relay picture that deporting foreign workers is against universal labour convention and Justice.
WPHA is working hard to ensure that migrant workers’ voice is heard. We should hold each other’s hands and support WPHA for the success:
Work Permit Holders Association
General Secretary/ WPHA
Since October 2017 the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce awards the Boosting the Capital Prize to the people who in some way have made the capital region better. The Stockholm Chamber of Commerce works to strengthen of capital region’s attractiveness and competitiveness. On 27th April 2018 Stockholm Chamber of commerce awarded “WPHA” as the Boosting the Capital-prize for its hard work and promoting migrant workers’ rights. WPHA is working hard to ensure that migrant workers’ voice is heard. On behalf of WPHA, Tawhid Amanullah and Rafiqul Islam had received the award.
“The current momentum toward a fairer system would not exist without WPHA”- Maria Rankka, VD, Chamber of Commerce.
The dynamic of WPHA is to represent foreign workers of different profession in Sweden. These people have direct and indirect contribution for boosting the capital and other cities in Sweden. We are thankful to the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce for understanding to our perspectives and giving us recognition for our work.
We know that still many of us going through uncertainty. Our contributions are still ignored for the reasons which we are not responsible for. We will continue our work until our voice is heard for justice.
Batuhan Kutlu, Researcher , Stockholms Chamber of Commerce.
Christopher Marton, Researcher, Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
Tawhid Amanullah, President, WPHA
Rafiqul Islam, General Secretary, WPHA
We are very happy to publish the report on our Annual General Meeting 2017, which was held on February 25, 2018.
The report will give you lots of information about WPHA and its activities from the time it has begun its journey.
Please check this link if you want to see the report:
The bill for overall assessment had been sent to Lagrådet (The Legislative Council) for comments. The council published a document on October 31st, 2017 in which the members have shown disapproval of the proposal for reasons that we have summarised in English below:
- There is a general need for a remiss in parliament proposition.
- In some cases a need for quick handling of a motion is needed.
- The stakeholders were given a short time to provide feedback on the proposal (29th September to 5th October).
- Some stakeholders possibly only saw it on the 2nd of October which was too late.
- Some stakeholders mentioned that it was on a short/hasty notice.
- An estimation of how many people are affected now, and how many less there would be after this bill is not provided.
- Consideration should be taken into account, that this is not only related to a small change to the current law or to the government’s proposition.
- There is no reason mentioned to why this bill must pass by December 1st.
- An investigation is ongoing and is due for submission December 31st, which is not too far away from this bill’s proposed date.
- Related to the above-mentioned, it is deemed that Socialförsäkringsutskottet does not have good reasoning behind the short remiss time allowed, and thus has not fulfilled the requirements for (10 Kap 4 law for remises).
- With reference to an earlier proposition (2013/14:227 s.18), the Lagrådsremiss at the time was that the cancellation of work permit should not be obligatory when the circumstances for the permit are changed. A permit could be cancelled, but the indvidual’s connection to the Swedish society should be taken into consideration.
- The proposed bill is “too wide”, and according to the text this would be very general.
- The bill risks that significant deteriorations in relation to collective agreements can be deemed acceptable as per bill text.
- The application of this bill would – in addition to the added uncertainty – mean that a fundamental change in the current system would occur for workforce immigration. That issue is not highlighted in the remises.
- A more close approach to addressing these work permit issues/situations could be to introduce an exemption from the mandatory revocation in case of ”minor cases”. i.e. add more to bill/law text.
- With reference to the foregoing and the lack of preparation, Lagrådet disapproves of the proposal.
The original document with Swedish text can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AYMIhiwlCEdXJHSzFjZWJCWDQ
— WPHA Core Team